20 Questions with Brown Belt-Jess Hockley
This past January, Misfits MMA became a part of The Winchester Jiu Jitsu Academy. All of the students have been a wonderful addition to the gym and in an effort to get to know the "new guys," a round of 20 questions seemed like the best way. An even better way would be if you see a new face, introduce yourself and make them all feel welcome.
Name: Jess Hockley
Where are you from? I was born and raised in Sturgis, South Dakota
Occupation? Federal Government
How Long have you been training? 7 Years
1. What got you into training? Watching UFC 1. Once I saw Royce Gracie win the tournament, I wanted to learn BJJ.
2. What is your favorite part about training? Learning new skills and honing current skills.
3. Favorite warm up? Shrimping
4. Least favorite warmup? Paleo Chairs
5. What is your proudest moment on the mats? Receiving my blue belt from Master Joe Moriera on the podium after winning both no-gi and gi tournaments.
a. Proudest moment in life? Coming back from the Iraq War
6. What do you do for fun outside of the gym? Go see sites with my wife or watch movies.
7. If you were a professional fighter, what would your name be? I can’t answer that because you can’t give yourself a nickname.
8. If you could eat only 1 meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Pizza
9. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
10. Do you have any specials talents? No
11. If you could be a superhero/action hero who would it be? Superman
12. If you could bring back one musician from the dead, who would it be and why? Elvis Presley, because my mom really liked him.
13. If you could live forever, how would you spend eternity? I would go to college for 60 or so years, and then travel the earth.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve? Not watching a movie all the way through.
15. If you only have 1 week left to live, how would you spend it? Being with family and friends.
16. What’s your fighting spirit animal? Great White Shark
17. What fad do you wish to come back? Which do you feel should stay gone forever? I don’t know
18. If you could have breakfast with any three people, alive or dead, who would they be and what would you have for breakfast? George Washington, Helio Gracie, and Bret Hart, The breakfast would be coffee, ham and cheese omelets, bacon, and pancakes.
19. What was the last movie you watched at the movie theatre and what did you think about it? Star Wars: the force awakens. I thought it was good, though a little unoriginal since it basically used the same plot as the first star wars movie.
20. What’s something few people know about you? My first year of wrestling I didn’t win one match.